Saturday, June 30, 2007

Random Stories

I'm not sure where to begin this entry! There is so much I want to say and normally I can write it logically but being as hung over as I am today my thoughts are all in a jumbled heap!

Let's see if I can do this...

Firstly, my mum has come to London for a visit. We woke up yesterday morning with the weather not being too nice but we thought it would be ok to leave without an umbrella - big mistake! We had just arrived at Buckingham Palace (after mum had her first experience on the crowded London Underground) when we saw a tiny drop of rain... We thought we'd be alright... Turns out we were wrong. It started bucketing down with rain so we managed a quick photo in front of Buckingham Palace before running back to the tube. By the time we got to the tube though, we were completely soaked through and were bloody cold! Not a very nice experience.

Speaking of experiences, my mum experienced the tube for the first time - we get the central line and cruise along nicely for 3 stops.. The train then stops at a station for a few minutes and we're all wondering what's happening when we hear an announcement, "Sorry for the delay but there is a person under the train at Liverpool Street Station". You should have seen mums face - priceless. She couldn't believe that they announce things like that so calmly. Mum wasn't too impressed with the tube to be honest (too crowded and hot for her liking) so when I suggested that we do more sightseeing today, mum asked if we'd have to use the tube and when I said yes she shook her head and said that she'd rather just stay home and relax! Suits me fine to be honest!

As I mentioned earlier I am a bit hungover. This is due to the SANZA boat cruise we went on last night. Well, that's a story in itself! Jade and I rushed to get to the boat and we made it with plenty of time to spare. All the SANZA teachers boarded the boat and off we set on our merry way down the Thames... Until we broke down. Yup, you read right. The boats engine broke down about 500 meters away from where we set off so we did not have our magical, drunken cruise down the river Thames last night. So, the SANZA crew organised for us to go to the Temple WalkAbout which wasn't too bad except that all of us got a bit separated from one another. I was such a bad friend last night though because I left Jade all by herself at the Walkie when I should have waited for her but in my drunken state I wasn't thinking properly! I used to hate when people did that to me back home and now I've gone and done the same thing. I felt awful and apologized but I'd still be shitty if I were her.

Speaking of SANZA and teaching - I mentioned in my previous post that I was going for teaching positions. Well, I decided I didn't want the commitment of my own class just yet so SANZA put me up for a 3 day a week position where I take classes for a couple of hours so that the teacher has Planning and Assessment time. I start in September and it is a year long position so that keeps me in the UK until at least September next year! Exciting news!

Scary news... There was a bomb scare at a club near Piccadilly Circus yesterday morning! There was a car found with explosives and nails, etc, in front of a London club called Tiger Tiger which was set to detonate. Potentially really dangerous. It's scary to think about what would have happened had the bombs been detonated. There is speculation that it might have had something to do with the new prime minister and the 7/7 bombings. Who knows why people do this stupid stuff but it's not going to make me come home. As much as it is terrible thing to happen, no one here even seems too phased by the whole thing!

No comments: